Do you ever buy new clothes, but end up wearing your old favourites anyway? Do you go shopping and ‘have to buy something new’, all the time? Is your closet bursting at the seams, yet you feel like you have nothing to wear?
WHAT IF – you could take a step back?
WHAT IF – you could buy less, and have more to wear?
WHAT IF – you LOVED everything in your wardrobe?
WHAT IF – you felt happy and confident in all your clothing?
The Capsule Wardrobe
A capsule wardrobe is a small collection of good quality, timeless clothing that fits well and forms the ‘basis’ of your everyday wear, and can then be altered with a couple of seasonal pieces.
According to Caroline Rector, the authority on the capsule wardrobe, the magic number is 37 pieces. This includes shoes, skirts, dresses, tops, jackets and pants, and excludes active wear, underwear and night wear.
Benefits of a Capsule Wardrobe
The most obvious benefit of a capsule wardrobe is that there is less clothing cluttering up your cupboards. Other big winners are saving money by buying less, and the realisation that you may have some more spare time without shopping so much!
HOWEVER – the biggest benefit of a capsule wardrobe is a newfound sense of confidence. Opening your wardrobe to clothes that fit well, that you enjoy wearing, that are ‘you’, is priceless.
There is less time choosing an outfit, less time getting dressed, less second guessing and there is something very comforting about slipping into clothes you know.
The type of clothing to include
There will be some items of clothing that you will wear all year round – basic white T’s, shirts, jeans, and some shoes. Other items like jackets, scarves and summer dresses will be more seasonal.
Think simple, basic, timeless, effortless. White T’s and long sleeve T’s in a style you enjoy, shirts, jeans, T-shirt dresses and long dresses. Think about things you can dress up with a scarf, or pair back for a lazy weekend at home. Remember, you will also work in your seasonal ‘key pieces’.
Know your style
Before begin the journey of a capsule wardrobe, spend some time considering your style. Stand in front of your wardrobe as it is and look for the clothes that make you feel the most comfortable, the most like ‘you’.
Lay those items out on the bed and look at them. Consider them. What sort of colours are they? What type of clothing? Do you wear certain pieces more often? Why?
Is there a style you admire or you are drawn too? Think about this style. Break it down and look at how this style is put together…. Become comfortable with the idea of you OWNING this style.
THE BIGGEST TIP – Buy clothes that fit
The biggest tip we can give you is to shop for clothes that are the correct size for your body. Not the size you think you should be. Or the size you would like to be. Simply buy clothes that fit you right now!
Hawkins & Co’s 6 step approach to building your own capsule wardrobe.
- Decide on your ‘style’. What do you enjoy wearing? What feels good on you? What suits your body size? Shape? Personality?
- Take every item in your closet and take a long look at it. Decide on the 37 items that will form your capsule.
- Plan to shop for 3-4 ‘key pieces’ for each season. These are items of clothing that add a splash of colour, and some of your personality to the wardrobe. The number of key pieces you buy for each season is up to you, but less is more.
- You will end up with 2 capsules – Spring / Summer and Autumn / Winter.
- Buy quality. As you need to replace your items, go for a superior quality. Once you have the hang of capsule wardrobes you will find that you are spending less on clothes, and therefore, can look at organic cottons, bamboo and cashmere blends.
- Learn how to store your clothes correctly in the season you are not using them. This will ensure longevity and the security of knowing you have fabulous clothes to slip back into each year.
The capsule wardrobe is a GREAT way to simplify your life, and get on with living!!